Saturday, April 3, 2010

Experimentation in Leather

One of my good friends, Nick from http://trashonrubbish.com/ gave me a great suggestion. He liked what I was doing with the 'feather headbands' but proposed that a leather one would be super cool. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to make one due to material costs. Felt is very wallet-friendly when it comes to sourcing fabric. Luckily, I happened upon some really decent scrap packs in a local store. They were all discarded remnant pieces of 100% genuine leather - most had been dyed to various colors.

I decided to use the same approach as the felt headbands. While the leather was a little more challenging to work with, I believe the outcome is just as quality. It also made the structure much more firm. For now, I have just completed the one. However, I do have many more colors of leather to still play with in future endeavors.


I like the uniqueness and texture that the different leathers brought to the table. Some are more subdued in nature, and others have a snakeskin - almost reptilian feel. (photo from my etsy)


I haven't yet decided if I will be crafting next week or not. We are taking a week away to go stay with my grandparents at their home in Missouri. We'll have our computers in tow, but I'm not sure if I'll lug the other supplies along or not. 

At any rate, I definitely have some new project ideas cookin' up, and I will keep you all posted as they come to fruition. 

Have a happy and healthy Easter weekend everyone! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment