Thursday, April 22, 2010

Artist Series

I wanted to do a series of my feather headbands that had a deeper meaning. What I came up with is the artist series. I actually got the idea while driving in my car after lunch. Luckily, I had my handy sketchbook with me, and I scribbled at a red light. Anyhow back to the idea -  each of the headbands in the series are inspired by a particular artist and and the art/design work that they did. The color palettes are drawn directly from their famous works - in some cases a specific painting. It's funny because while concepting this project and getting everything together I was totally thrown back into my first year of college and the Fundamentals of Graphic Design course (where I studied all of the major art movements and the people with in them).

It was a labor of love, but I came home, took care of the kids and got started. Once I had my artists picked out I assembled the color palettes. From there I made each headband. Afterwards I photographed them as best I could with my equipment on-hand and updated my etsy store. For this particular project I tried to do a photo vignette pertaining to the artist in addition to the normal 'headshot.' Here are the results along with a side by side comparison:





inspiration: Alphonse Mucha






inspiration: Piet Mondrian






inspiration: Henri de Toulouse Lautrec




I'm actually really pleased with how these turned out. I feel that the palettes utilized compliment and pay homage to the original artworks. I do plan to continue with this series and shown an appreciation for more artists and designers.

All of the headbands are currently for sale in my etsy shop. Please be a dear and take a peek and share. I appreciate all the word of mouth my friends have given me so far! I'm so fortunate to have such amazing support and to be able to do what I love to do on a daily basis. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment