Monday, February 8, 2010

Easy Caramel Apple Turnovers

Hello! We had such a great, busy weekend. Yesterday was of course full of tons of food and friends with the Superbowl goings on. Saturday night was a lot of fun too. We went to Phil's parent's house for a dinner and game night. His mom made this great Mexican lasagna, and she asked me to bring the dessert. Oddly enough, I wasn't really in the mood for chocolate that night, so I made my homemade caramel apple turnovers instead. They are so easy to make, and the recipe can be altered in several different ways.

The ingredients I use are:

crescent roll dough (in a tube)
caramel dip (found in produce section)
Granny Smith apples
butter
cinnamon
brown sugar

First, I start by opening the package of the rolls. I unwrap all of them from each other and then spread out all of the triangles onto a lined baking sheet. Next, I take about a tablespoon of the caramel and smear it onto each triangle making sure to coat all the way to the ends. Then I take the apples (that I have chopped up) and put them into the microwave in a bowl with about a tablespoon of butter. I heat them for 30 seconds stir and then heat another 30 seconds. By then end of the minute, the apples are all nicely coated with the butter. I make a little pile of apples in the center of each triangle.

(Do not discard the leftover butter!)

Before they go into the oven, sprinkle a little bit of cinnamon onto each apple pile. Then fold each of the ends up and form a little knot (trying to keep all of the apples inside the dough). Finally, take the leftover melted butter and apply to the tops of each turnover. (This will help to make them golden brown also help the sugar to stick). Put a little pinch of brown sugar on the top of each one as well. To bake,  just follow the time/temperature instructions on the tube from the rolls.





This is what they look like when they come out (after about 11-13 minutes):



After they cooled off, I put them in a container to take to game night. 


Even though they weren't chocolate, they were still a big hit! I just put them in a warm oven for a few minutes prior to serving so they were nice a gooey. (That's the best way to eat them).

The best part about this recipe is that the possibilities are endless. It all goes according to the baking instructions of the crescent rolls. Any type of fruit or vegetable would work in this case. (I would just recommend microwaving them first -steaming the veggies in a little water- to make sure that they don't have too much of a bite). Instead of caramel, try cream cheese or cheddar cheese. :)

Thanks for reading and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment