Monday, February 22, 2010

Checkers and Meatballs

Hello again! It has been a very, very busy weekend around here. I cooked. I baked. I laid floors with my mom. We hosted a game night. It was a truly awesome time.

I knew that we were having Phil's parents over Saturday night for one of our family game nights. We were in charge of dinner and dessert. I also knew that earlier that morning and all through the day, I would be installing our new kitchen floor. My parents kindly purchased it for us, and my mom and I made it our project. It is just a peel and stick, but it definitely suits our retro sensibility. It's also just nice to know that it is our floor. It is clean and new, and no one else has spilled on it previously.



Everything looks better against these walls - the teal and chartreuse walls, vintage advertisements from the early and mid-century 1900's, my Elvis swingin' hips clock collection and of course the creme de la creme...vintage yellow vinyl and chrome diner chairs inherited from my dad's parents.



I think now we just have to work on getting a much cooler tablecloth!


And now for part two of this post. I had mentioned earlier that I cooked for our game night. Phil decided that we were making spaghetti and meatballs for our folks. I was just hoping that my meatballs would impress an Italian palette. Luckily, they received the seal of approval. Here is the recipe I used for them:

Italian-Style Meatballs

1 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped white onion
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup breadcrumbs (you can use Italian ones or just season the plain variety)
1 egg
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tbsp flaked or finely chopped  parsley
1/2 tbsp flaked or finely chopped basil 
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

Preheat oven to 400˚F.
Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
Form into balls about 1" - 1 1/2" round.
This will yield about 20 good-sized meatballs.
Put them in an ungreased baking dish.
Bake at 400˚F for 20 - 25 minutes or until the juices run clear.


Pre-oven


Post oven



That is it for the meatballs. From that point on, we just add them to our sauce and let everything simmer together until the pasta is ready. Molto bene!





No comments:

Post a Comment