Tuesday, March 9, 2010

"Dickie" Dress

I have been taking Monday night sewing classes for 2 years now. I have a few skirts and bags and one unwearable shirt (ha) to show for it. I decided I wanted to challenge myself and make my first dress. In hindsight, I probably should have chosen a sheath or something else that is really super simple. However, I have a track record of over complicating things, and I chose a cute little jumper dress.


Hopefully it will be retro-ly cute and not super turdish by the time I'm done with it!


Nothing has been overly hard yet. All of the mistakes have been dumb so far - like sewing the right side of the fabric to the wrong side. Duh! Rookie mistake. Anyhow, it is never any less frustrating that after two full years I still cannot read a pattern to save my life. Luckily my instructor, Nancy, has the patience of a saint.

I have accomplished the bodice so far which has a strong resemblance to a dickie right now:


Lol. This is not my garment but the results of a Google image search for "dickies." (Note, NEVER search for that again. XXX). Lesson learned.

Albeit somewhat stumped by my current choice, my jumper does not seem unwearable yet - which is a good sign. The fabric is an ultra smooth black on black pinstripe stretch corduroy. I love it, but it will undoubtedly pick up every lint particle in the atmosphere. So I will remember to accessorize with a lint roller when wearing it.

I will post the progress as it is being made...

No comments:

Post a Comment