Friday, May 14, 2010

Sew Many Projects To Do

This past Monday my sewing class started up again. I always get really excited for it. Even though I am still mediocre at best, it's a sort of therapy I get to indulge in. I get to leave everything and everyone behind for 2 hours every Monday night and make something for myself. I honestly can't remember what class # this is. It's up around 10 - needless to say approaching the nearly 3 year mark.

I have put my stretch corduroy jumper on hold for now. It's about half done, but it was getting stale. I wanted to have fun again with what I was making. This time I have opted to go for a cute handbag. It'll be nice to get some everyday use out of something I make - other than my shopping tote. Though it is a small project, it still presents its own challenges. There is pleating which I have not yet tackled before (different from a kick pleat in a skirt). I also have lined anything before or worked with satin. Hopefully it all goes smoothly.

So far I have done just a few steps. I am totally in love with my fabric though! I've had it for about a year and just needed to settle on a project for it. I give you my purse in its primary stages:



basic bag body and overall shape



close up shot of center pleat



the green shown here will be the band and strap color.



In addition to this handbag, I have many other projects in the works. I am still working on my fingerless mittens for crochet class. I think it is safe to say I have mastered the back loop only single crochet by now. ;) I also plan to make a few more summer skirts for myself. I rarely find a skirt that I love as is. I figured I would just source out some amazing fabric and create my own. Here is what I have found so far:





these two fabrics are recent purchases from Ikea. i fell in love with them immediately. even though they are canvas-based, i think they are thin enough to make cute, structured skirts with. fingers crossed ;)




Finally, I got this amazing Erin McMorris/Park Slope Birds fabric from an auction on ebay. I found it, adored it and had to have it. It is definitely next in line project-wise:



this could be the every day go-to for summer skirt



So I am very busy, but then again that is how I like to be. I'd also just like to ask everyone to cross your fingers if you would please. My friend Stephanie and I just sent our applications in this past Tuesday for Chicago's 2010 Renegade Craft Fair. We both specialize in felt and thought it would be a great opportunity to try and sell together at this year's big craft weekend. It will still be another month before we hear back, but we are still really excited that we got our stuff together and went for it. I'll definitely keep you posted as the time comes around. :)






No comments:

Post a Comment